Monday, March 28, 2011

Comings and goings...

During the down time of March when the ice is relenting and not much else is going on; my wife and I chose to make the voyage south to Freeport, Maine in order to browse around one of the pristine outdoor outfitter meccas on the planet, L.L. Bean...

The Big Bean Boot at the L.L. Bean flagship store

So after some searching for some time for some items to help address my future guiding efforts, I opted to try Federal Cartridge's Black Cloud and Hevi Shot Duck shotgun cartridges.  With the ProPlan through my guide's association, I'm feeling that these may be effective and finanically similar alternatives to shooting high velocity steel.  As of right now, I implement Kent Fasteel high velocity rounds pumping 2 or 3 shot over 1600 fps.  The reasoning behind this brand is to get the lighter steel up to speed in order to maximize the hitting potential of the shot.  So at this point, we'll see how the purchased ammunition pans out against the current product...

As spring fishing nears, I need to convert the Duckforce back into a trolling machine and ready my fishing gear.  In addition, I've got to give the trailer some attention ranging from inspecting the axle and replacing some corroded u-bolts. That will be a post in the near future...

In order to get back to this, the boat blind must come off and fishing gear must go on...


I do hope to get back in the woods this spring in pursuit of a gobbler, if I can effectively circumnavigate my beauties' birthday parties and dodge any other surprises.  May is a difficult month for the Duckman...


The blog is growing as I'm up over 1000 visits per month, not bad for someone who isn't really sticking his neck out there.  One benefit is that I've been added to the Outdoor Blogging Section of the Bangor Daily News.  That one move has doubled my visits...

Until the next post, take care...

The Downeast Duck Hunter

6 comments:

  1. Well, someone did once call you "The World's Greatest Blogger" so those kind of numbers should not surprise you! I would think it was your wonderful interview series a couple of weeks ago that increased your readership!

    Save me a box of Black Cloud for my visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer Hevi-Metal, but most of The Gang shoots Black Cloud exclusively. A word of advice on the BC: it tends to pattern very poorly without a BC choke tube because of its unique wad.

    DDD

    ReplyDelete
  3. DDD
    I will try out the Black Cloud to see what it does on paper, I'm impressed that the Hevi-Steel throws shot at 1550 fps...

    Trey
    Still trying to drink enough water to offset the boiled peanuts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We shoot probably 70% fasteel ($15 for 20), 20% Black Cloud ($22 for 20), and 10% Hevi Shot ($28 for 10).

    That breakdown, I think, has a lot to do with price, and the fact that we throw a LOT of steel at a LOT of geese.

    With mixed results due to user error.

    ReplyDelete
  5. black cloud has great takedown power but in my opinion it's a bit dirty.I have been stuck on kent for a few years and really like it.hevi shot?what did you win the lottery?let us know how they work for you next season

    ReplyDelete
  6. DEDH..I noticed your inclusion in the Outdoor section of the BDN and was very pleased for you to see you there..now a certain other blogger, who shall remain nameless, will have to sit up and take notice..Bean has always been my favorite but I still miss the old store's creaky wooden floors and the log cabin, damp wool smell that I remember as a kid..or maybe that was the house I grew up in on Union St?..sometimes I get confused!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...