Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Blogger Interview: Trey Luckie of Brave Eagles Hunt with Antique Brownings

Trey Luckie of Brave Eagles Hunt with Antique Brownings


As I was in the midst of pursuing my license to be a Registered Maine Guide, a newbie popped up on my blog with a continued sense of optimistic encouragement.  From my top rated post concerning the change in the Maine Guide Exam came these words that started our dialogue:


     Trey said...  Hang in there and keep up your 
     good attitude! It will all work out in the end!
The Downeast Duck Hunter said... Trey, good words and you sort of sound like my father who is the best man I know!!! 
 
Little did I know this would be the start of a solid friendship that has resulted in a hectic array of blog comments, e-mails, instant messaging, texts, and several photos of our successes in the field.  Plans have been discussed for connecting hunts, and I'm fortunate to have been able to have met a fellow ambassador of the outdoors but more importantly a man of strong integrity.  I look forward to the future and that first mature drake eider that he scores with the Browning Maxus he never stops talking about.  

It's fitting at this point to offer my readership an opportunity to learn more about the man who writes Brave Eagles Hunt with Antique Brownings.  I hope you enjoy.  The first installment deals with his connection to blogging while the second one will get into the outdoors mayhem.
 
Let's go back to when you decided to start up a blog.  What were your expectations and aspirations, and how have you changed from the very first post?

A couple of years ago my church found itself looking for a new pastor.  One of the candidates was a man by the name of Michael Ruffin.  I learned that Mike wrote a blog entitled “On the Jericho Road”, and decided to check it out in an effort to become more familiar with him and get my mind around what type of pastor and leader that he would be.  I was hooked from that point.  I had never read or followed a blog before but I found myself with the urge to start up a blog of my own.  With Mike’s help and encouragement I figured I would give it a shot.  I have always enjoyed writing and have often written accounts of my hunting adventures for my friends so that we could relive the good times that we shared.  A blog seemed like the most logical way for me to share things about my life with my friends as well as have an opportunity to maybe meet a few new friends along the way.


My blog has remained pretty much the same as it was in the beginning.  I write about the things that I love including family, friends, my projects and the outdoors.  The only thing that has really changed is that I worked my way into the outdoor blogging community.  I started following other outdoor blogs and even convinced the OBN to add me to their blog roll list.  I picked up some followers and they started to leave a few comments.  That encouraged me to keep writing!  I write the blog for my own personal benefit, but I do admit that I like knowing that someone actually enjoys what I have to say sometimes.


 
Luckie with his son and a fine pair of Largemouth Bass
 
What might be the most beneficial aspect of your enrollment as a blogger, and what keeps you participating?

I think it is very important that you write your blog for your own personal enjoyment and benefit.  I hope that my children will read some of the things that I have written about them 10 years from now and remember that their Dad was a pretty cool dude.  Or I hope that my friends can use this online journal to remember some of the trips and memories that we made as we get older.  I hope that I will be able to look back and remember some of those times as well.  I never want to get to the point where I feel like I am writing this blog just to entertain others.  This blog is for me! 


With that in mind, I will confess that I enjoy the people that I have met along the way and I am glad that I have followers that share in my adventures with me.  Memories and life experiences are meant to be shared and I have been blessed to have followers that leave words of encouragement or simply say that they have similar memories from their childhood.  I love it when someone says that I have sparked old memories or that I have made them think about trying something different.  I have always been a people person and enjoy meeting and making new friends.  Blogging is just one way that I have been able to have conversations with folks all over this hunting nation of ours.  I have been amazed at the great people that make up our blogging community!


So I guess the answer to your question can be answered in two parts- 1) I blog because I enjoy writing for myself and 2) I blog because of the people I have been fortunate enough to meet.


 
What differentiates a good blog from other efforts in your eyes, what are you looking for when you navigate the variety of blogs throughout the internet?

I want to be able to connect with the person’s blog that I am reading.  I want it to feel like the author is sharing a part of themselves with the reader.  I want the post to be insightful or informative.  I want it to feel like they are enjoying their blogging experience, not just throwing post out there because they feel like they need to.  I tend not to follow blogs that have a daily post.  I would rather follow a blog that post once a month as long as the material is well written and worthwhile.  Now I am all for the occasional “funny” post or “off topic” post as long as the blog doesn’t lose the integrity that got me to start following in the first place.  A blog should be fun and a way for you to express yourself, but there is too much stuff out there like Twitter and Face Book that allows someone to post their daily happenings on a minute by minute basis.  I might be too harsh, but I like a blog that gives me a little something more than what I could get off of a Face Book post.
 
Authors note:  Trey's commitment to life, faith in God, and true passion towards family has proven to showcase there are fine people in this world who continue to strive for a better society.  He offers a true genuine approach to his writing and I consider myself fortunate to have been able have fostered one exceptional friendship.  I look forward to our continued dialogue and certain endeavors as I've offered him a quality experience in on the duck boat and in the Maine woods.  In return he has promised to keep me away from any poisonous snakes in Georgia country.  I look forward to those opportunities and please stay tuned for my next installment in several days. 

4 comments:

  1. I must forewarn you .... Trey has a tendency to cheat at contests and give aways. I can't prove it yet.... but I am pretty sure he's shady when it comes to those otherwise he's a great guy...all american!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LB- It's all in how you approach a contest that determines the winner. You see I just "know" that I am going to win. I have a PMA (positive mental attitude). I will myself to victory!! I have purposely not enterd any give aways lately so that you and others will actually have a chance at a prize, although I did enter your little scavenger hunt. If I win that thing then you should really start to worry!! :) Thanks for the comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, both the questions and the answers! I always love to learn more about my fellow bloggers.

    Personally, I've enjoyed Trey's blog for some time now and love his spirit. It always brightens my day to read the happenings over there and the guy makes the finest looking turkeys I've ever seen! (They make me drool a bit every time I look at them. Not just the normal everyday drool either, but the excessive drool...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The formalities have been addressed, the next installment coming soon. And as I post this, Trey just texted me to inform me that the double top secret Eagle brought home the gold. Congrats buddy, glad to know I'm in on the details before you put it to print.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...