Friday, January 21, 2011

In celebration of the 50th post on the new DEDH site...

Having spent a good time thinking about my options for a small but mighty achievement in the world of amateur outdoor writing, I couldn't help but think of who I am, where to I want to go, and how do I get there?  Not exactly the best sentence (rather question) I've compiled over the years, but it's true.  One of my favorite professors in college, an outdoorsman in his own right, taught me about the varying possibilities around this educational development called reflective practice.  Basically, you look at improvement, put a plan in action, let it roll, assess, retool, and let rip once again only to go around the racetrack until your happy.

Life is a bucket list, without dreams, hopes, visions, and aspirations I'd be nothing more than trudging through life without passion, energy, and focus.   A long term plan is to save for Arkansas- there's something about being there in late winter chasing mallards that entices me like none other, but much needs to be done on the home front.  For that, I dedicate my 50th to my oldest who is my aspiring Maine Munchkin Guide.

A few months ago I wrote this for my friends and family to see.
6 years ago at 4:30 p.m., one girl made the biggest impact on my life. She instantly made me love above and beyond whatever I could imagine, taught me responsibility like I've never believed, and gave me the best job I love to do... Thank you Lauren Marie for making me the man I dreamed to be, your daddy... 
The first official diaper, worse than dressing a deer...

My second buck as a dad, opening day 2005...

Rock wall climbing 2010...

Spring school hike on the preserve...

First trip in the Ambush...
First trout- 2008
 
So sweetheart, your sister and you are my ultimate bucket list dreams.  Pursuing anything in life without having you two on my mind is impossible, for my life is you two.  I look forward to helping you cross off the items on your bucket list even though getting Barbie dressed isn't on my top 10 things to do before I die.  But it is on my top ten list for today...

 

8 comments:

  1. There really is nothing quite like little girls. My son gets to go hunting with me and be my little buddy, but my little girl controls my heart!

    Good luck getting Barbie dressed for any length of time. An outfit stays on Barbie for an average of about 20 minutes at my house before it is time for a wardrobe change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put DDH. Great post but I was looking for the pictures of you getting your nails painted. It will happen if it hasn't yet and make sure there are NO cameras around.

    Enjoy them as they grow up way to fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your 50th post on the new site. There is nothing as special as the father daughter relationship. Cherish it as I know you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo. Putting random plastic blocks in the back of a toy horse truck without having anyone (16 month old) cry was part of today's top 10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trey- the littlest is a wardrobe monster and she seems to believe that picking up isn't part of the play...

    Passinthre- only my toes good man and never a photo for the Rabid Outdoorsman would certainly flog me on that...

    Greg- thanks for swinging by...

    Terry- you've been on the ride since the beginning, I'm thankful for our continued friendship...

    Swamp- no doubt, I've enjoyed reading about your steps as you continue to be a great dad and have always enjoyed being part of your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, now that just rocks! Nothin' in the world like being a parent.

    Congrats to you DDH on this post, and I raise my glass to you in a toast to many more. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kari, my oldest asks, "What's wrong with pink camo?" That is a fair question...lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...