Monday, January 2, 2012

Ice Fishing Opener

At the start, over 70 traps held this fishing spot.  The game warden said not many places are safe, including here.

Today we dared the dangerous and hit three inches of ice for the 2012 ice fishing opener.  Shallow water, a warm day, and precautionary efforts were employed all day to result in one fine time.  There is a saying that goes like "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes".  At one point it was overcast, only to become bright, then windy, and finally a combination of hail and rain.  Needless to say, it honestly felt like a typical March day here in down east Maine.

The trout weren't responsive early, but every time a quick front passed through the brookies were inclined to attack.  The end result was 8 trout landed, 4 kept, and we all walked off the crystal clear ice in good order.

I thought I had the lunker award until Sheldon, a high school sophomore, took advantage of a late flag and pulled in an awesome 13.5 inch beauty which easily defeated my 12.5 inch trout.  Bud took the prize for landing three trout, however I'm pretty sure Sheldon's trout might have eaten them just after Bud released his minnows.


Below are the photos of the trip which may be the most impressive ice photos I've taken in a long time, I just wish they hadn't come from my cell phone.

Cheers for the new year!

My dad trying out the hand auger


One of Bud's monster trout, he threw the other two back before I could get a picture

My first trout in at 10 inches, but not nearly the fish I would later catch


Brook trout number two, a nice 12.5 inch fish



The reigning champion at 13.5 inches, Congratulations Sheldon... I'm gunning for you...

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys are walking on water. Don't let that go to your head Duckman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My man, I just found your blog through the RiverMud list. Great photos here.

    I can't believe you guys are out on the ice. I'm a tad south of Portland. Where abouts are you located? Always looking for ice fishing buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rev., I can still chase the sea ducks but I do love ice fishing

    Trey, You know how I roll

    Rhon, I live all the way on the other side of Maine. Maybe at least 4 hours away, you might have better luck catching up with Steve over at www.themaineoutdoorsman.com

    Best,

    DEDH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well.."they" do say that 3 inches is the minimum. But....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...