Thursday, May 5, 2011

Video Games- old school...


Talk about getting back to days past...

My youngest had made a present for her best friend and wanted to deliver it, so I called my buddy Craig to see if they would be around for a visit.  He sounded excited about the get together and then hit me with a bomb; the Nintendo was out!!!  The eight bit video game system that dominated my junior high years once again entered my life.  However, there seemed to be a power issue with his so I rushed up to the attic and grabbed mine (yes, it took me 2.2 seconds).  Within minutes, my girls and I were at Craig's with his little beauties.  Once the formalities were in place and the girls playing, Craig and I went to work...

By using my Nintendo and his power cord, we had achieved a mighty accomplishment and the memories of yesteryear instantly returned.  As we played Bases Loaded Baseball, Double Dribble, Track and Field, and Blades of Steel, the wives snickered and laughed in amazement as we pitched, hit, ran, dribbled, shot, dunked, saved, caught, and anything other verb imaginable...

Honestly, it wasn't difficult to get back into the swing of things.  Maybe some things are liking riding a bike...




One of the casualities committed during this event was early stage Nintendo thumb which if not treated properly has even been known to put NBA basketball players on the injured reserve.  Even Lionel Simmons who played for the Sacramento Kings sat out two basketball games because of a Nintendo injury due to overplaying the NES...









 
It's always good to get back to the basics and do something you remember so well.  I understand that this may have been the beginning of what I consider the loss of the outdoor child, but man didn't the NES give us hours of enjoyment- at night or during bad weather.  Our parents weren't big on us playing too much in front of the television...

I suppose I'm getting to the point in life where things seemed to be a bit easier back in the day, and I still can't beat Craig at Blades of Steel...

For that, the system can go back in the attic...

5 comments:

  1. I can still hear those games playing in my head. Double Dribble was my favorite with those "slow mo" dunks! The NES was the thing to have until SAGA came along. Let me ask you something, did you have to blow into the end of the game and rub it just right after after you put it in the game player??? Only way those games will work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell you what Trey, we had to blow onto the end of the game and also shift the game once put into the system, then after hitting power a few times all the games would work. It's amazing how fast we resorted back to the old troubleshooting tactics...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? Not "Duck Hunter" with the zapper gun? It's not right for a man who is known throughout the land as The Downeast Duck Hunter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PBM,
    We couldn't find the Mario-Duck Hunt combo even though I had the zapper... however, I do have a post on the old blog about using the Nintendo Wii gun...

    http://thedowneastduckhunter.blogspot.com/2009/12/so-santa-had-some-issues-with-me-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blades of Steel! Awesome. I loved the fights in it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...