Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dock Disaster...

One of my more "not much is going on in the spring" posts, but nevertheless a happening in my life... In the works are the BB Gun Blast and the Skunk at Tunk... stay tuned...


There are things in life we don't realize and I took my father-in-law for granted.  It's been almost two years since he passed, but often I get reminded about how much he did around the house, yard, and camp.  Taking over some of the responsibilities in order to help out my mother-in-law is not the problem, I would say the time on top of my already loaded schedule forces the hardship.  Needless to say that I won't whine or refuse assistance to the mom-in-law, but Papa's shoes aren't necessarily easy to fill...

The dock which has served so well met a fate fostered by neglect and nature...

The first weekend of vacation put my family further down east as I took advantage of some decent weather to accomplish some mini-tasks for Nana.  In addition, a ride to the camp was on the docket for I knew that the dock had been smoked during the winter season.  My hope was to reset, repair, and catch a trout before sundown.  Yep, I knew better...
 
With the dock came down the steps and if you look closer, the porch had dropped some...


In the past, it would be brought out in the fall and returned in the spring.  However, illness & time available prohibited any action these past few years and the dock weathered the ice season, especially last year's early ice out.  Intention and planning were not friendly in terms of the dock while mother nature took steadfast action on the aging dock.  To make matters worse, it was not intended to be a permanent dock.  Plans had always been discussed about dropping in a more durable structure.

To no surprise, the dock put in place when I first met my wife begged for demolition.  So I donned the 1600 Cabelas waders with a hammer and jumped into the 38 degree water.  After several hours of patience and no fish on for my oldest, we agreed that it was time to get back to Nana's.  The dock officially was no more but the waders earned a gold star approval.

The basic frame with a quick deck alignment, leveling still needed...


That following Monday, I purchased the necessary materials and built the frame at home.  The next day earned a delivery and prompt set up.  Two days later, I returned to level the frame, secure the posts, and repair the steps.  Then I decided while I had time, the north porch needed to be jacked up and new posts added.  The vacation was getting by me, but with no dock there would be no fun this summer once lobstering takes over every spare second.  Finally, I ordered the planking which waits for this weekend where camp, trout, and relaxation are the items on the list.

The porch, steps, and dock all leveled.  Planking and rails on the next trip...


The dock should have been taken out; I know that but after investing time, money, and energy into this one, I will not forget Papa's dedication to the camp and be sure this dock doesn't become the next victim in the war against time.


Thanks for reading,


The Downeast Duck Hunter

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like you do nice work. Kudos for being such a good son-n-law!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A never ending battle with Mother Nature.. Keep up the good work..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It feels great to resurrect something derelict. Hopefully, as materials & techniques become more sophisticated, things will last a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you guys do it,every year with that ice and it's destructive power.good for you,putting in a little time now will be well worth it in the long run

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...