Thursday, December 29, 2011

A week of firsts...

Our new house was the target of some efforts this week as the upstairs baseboard heat was hooked up and the floor was prepped for the hardwood flooring due to be installed next week.  The anticipated move still holds true to late spring/early summer and it's nice to see the efforts of finishing a home out of pocket come to fruition.  Now to the firsts...

I went out fox hunting several days ago with the Firestorm by FoxPro and was surprised by a fox.  This excerpt is from the email I sent several friends...


So I decided today since the family was off getting the hair done, that I'd take a walk.  Found some fox tracks and figured I'd go back and gear up.  Walked just beyond the deer stands and set up on the edge of a swamp.  I was about 20 yards from the call with a left to right breeze quartering at me.  Hit the field mouse distress called and left it on.  In about 3 minutes, a red blur arrived from where I had entered (from the right of my set up).  I had my glasses on and should have picked it up sooner.  Once I saw it about 10 feet from the call, I pulled on it and fired.  Unfortunately it had picked up on me and had turned back from where it came in.  I fired twice but it took off, I figure at best it got an ass full of Federal Black Cloud #2 in 3.5 magnum.  Excited and bummed at the same time.

I have to be honest that I'm quite determined to get better at predator hunting, and although I did not succeed on my first opportunity there certainly will be more chances.  Unfortunately (or fortunately for the fox) the wind has been at gale force for the past several days, so I may not get out anytime soon.

Today, my dad and I went to visit our area gun dealer and get a haircut.  On our ride home we detoured by the golf course and managed to see a flock of eastern turkeys.  We were watching and then I realized that one hen had a band on her leg.  Interestingly enough, I attempted to take a photo with my cell phone and it's difficult to see the band on the turkey next to the leftmost bird.  It's doubtful that this bird will be taken as 1) almost all turkeys taken are toms and 2) the golf course is well below the southern line for turkey hunting.  Nevertheless, for a guy who gets his bands from ducks it was cool to see one on a turkey.  With a quick Google search, I find an informative website that discusses the turkey reintroduction and methods of placing turkeys in certain areas including the banding process.  Click HERE



My next post will come on the new year, so I hope that 2011 was good for you.  For me it was one to stick a fork in with the loss of my mom and the advent of Celiac disease, but I suppose it could have been worse.  Here's to an improved 2012 and let's prove the Mayan calendar wrong!

3 comments:

  1. My new goal is to shoot me a coyote before you get that fox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better get out of work, because I'm heading out in one hour for four sets. Once the word got out, I have been appointment the unofficial animal control officer. Get ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when the smack talk comes to fruition... Operation Fox Drop rendered a success...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...