Saturday, December 24, 2011

Puddle Duck End Game...

The 2011 regular duck season came to an end today and my efforts were focused on coyote hunting with a new friend.  Even if I had elected to chase a duck, the sub-zero wind chills would have made for an icy endeavor.  The pursuit of the wild dog ended without a success story, but I learned much from the experience.  But this post is about yesterday...

A surprise snow storm and messy roads promised a white Christmas whilst leaving my plans for a bufflehead attack in despair.  After contacting my dad just after daylight, I convinced him that we needed to finish out our season chasing a black duck or two.  With the very large tides, it became pertinent that we mobilize to a different locale within the general area.  We chose to set up in the middle of the flooded cove concentrating on any late season black ducks that dare enter.  Due to the storm, our efforts were hindered and resulted in a delayed start.  Nevertheless, we set up, waited, and saw little sign of any life...

My father with a nice black duck.
My father opted to desert our set up and venture further upstream utilizing the unique structure for concealment along with the steady but relenting snowstorm.  Eventually I heard a somewhat distant shot and then from both sides of my location, two separate groups of black ducks.  The ones below me left the bay while the upstream birds exited behind me.  I did manage to convince a pair to circle my set twice, but I'm pretty sure they picked up on my dad who was returning with his limit for the day...







As Christmas Day approaches and I finish this post, I would like to wish all those to visit my blog the very best no matter what angle your holiday throws at you.  Santa is coming here, and I look forward to seeing two eager little girls who are currently setting up the cookies for Old Saint Nick...

God Bless,

The Downeast Duck Hunter

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...