Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Baxter's Originals gives me the tools to smoke like the pros...



Another summer special like the lobsters, striper bass, and blueberries in Maine are the mackerel at the end of July and early August.  Two of my students found me on my mooring cleaning after a days work and informed me they were heading down the bay to "pound" the mackerel.  The very next thing out of Andrew's mouth was, "Mr. B, you want any?" and my reply was a quick and enthusiastic "YES"...

You see I had a plan...

I had been awarded a bag of Baxter's Original Peach smoking chips, but never indulged in the finer aspects of smoking my own barbecue.  So today, I soaked up the peach chips, threw them under the racks in my Weber propane grill, and put eight boned out mackerel out for some fogging...

In all honesty, for my first time trying this type of endeavor, the smoked/grilled fish came out fantastic and the combination of smoke & sea salt seasoning made for a culinary wonder.  Immediately I ate several fish and left several for my wife who loves smoked mackerel more than her husband...


Much appreciation needs to be given to Mike Baxter of Baxter's Originals for providing the smoking chips and Trey Luckie of Brave Eagles Hunt with Antique Brownings for his first ever giveaway.  This truly was a perfect blend of one of Maine's bounties and Georgia hardwood.  I look forward to using the rest of the chips and certainly future patronage with this fine small business...

I certainly endorse Baxter's Originals as a  Downeast Duck Hunter thumbs up product!!!


Have a great day,

The Downeast Duck Hunter

4 comments:

  1. For some reason, oily fish or foods smoke the best. One smoker’s advice said to brush food with oil to attract the smoke.
    I smoke allot of game to preserve it and make it more appetizing, preventing waste (which is against the rules). Before modern refrigeration and transportation all foods needed to be preserved somehow.

    Fruit woods are very gourmet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those better find there way to Duck Camp or else your spot will be forfeit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always enjoy catching a "mess of tinkers"!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...