Sunday, July 8, 2012

You can't win if you don't play...

My wife's hometown celebrated the Fourth of July on the 4th unlike that of my hometown which opted to celebrate the weekend before.  This made things simple because we were able to venture to New Hampshire last weekend for a camping trip in the White Mountains and spend an entire day at Santa's Village.  Once we returned, we could still get our independence on in Lubec, Maine with my wife's family.  However, I secretly had one thing I didn't want to miss...

I'm a lucky person when it comes to raffles, drawings, and contests which don't cost a lot to enter but usually yield nice results.  For those who don't know me; I've won guns, paintings, moose permits (3), and a variety of other neat items.  This year I had my sights set on a kayak equipped with a paddle and life jacket offered by the area boy scout troop who has been raising money to go to a leadership camp. 

Right after we slammed down the Lion's Club chicken dinner, we shot across the road to try to become a winner.  My oldest and I filled out two $5 ticket groups, and dropped 12 total chances.  She put her name in while I filled in my group with my youngest daughter's name.  The drawing would be on Saturday just before the rubber duck race during the Children's Weekend as a way to finalize celebrating our country's birthday.

Yesterday, the beauties spent the day with their Nana while my wife and I took an ATV venture to Grand Lake Stream and back which totaled 135 miles.  We opted after our return to East Machias to put Nana in charge of her babies in Lubec until the next day.  Once we walked through the door and I hit the answering machine, we were pleasantly surprised to find out that Lauren had her name drawn.  When she phoned me this morning,  I proudly relayed the fortunate news of her good luck.

My favorite part of this entire deal is that just before we dropped off the girls, Lauren reminded me that the drawing would be during Kid's Day and that she hoped she'd win.

Well beauty, you've got an Old Town Dimension Rush and I look forward to the years of paddling some of the best water our country has to offer in Washington County, Maine.


That's how we roll, you can't win if you don't play!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats my man! You really do roll quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the LUCKIEST . . .. #$%& I know! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story reminds me of my friend Mike who's puts in for just about anything he can get his name on. It wasn't too long ago that he entered a raffle for two free turkeys at a local gas station and was soon stuffing his freezer! I suppose it's like you said, you can't win if you don't play!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...