Friday, July 20, 2012

A quick update, nothing more...

There is a purple ice fishing basket in Downeast Maine
The glut of the lobster season continues, first the lobstermen tie up to allow some lobsters to move and then many of the dealers can't move the large score of lobsters landed as a result of the extra long soak.  In a nutshell, I've caught a lot of lobsters and am currently selling them between $1.50 and $1.70 a pound plus the expected rebate (profit sharing) in December.  I'm busting my hump to pay off insurances, payments, and other things so that I can brace for the decreased revenues between my lobster fishing and my resignation from administrating an after school program.  Thank god I am 1) relatively debt free with my lobster boat paid for in 9 months and 2) almost have the house finished.  It will be interesting to see how our family fares on less income, but if there won't be any payments then I shouldn't have to come up with that money.  A lot of people are certainly feeling the pinch, including me but we are a gritty bunch Downeast and times will improve.

I hauled twice this week and may not be working again until Tuesday at a lower price, our cooperative is sitting on tens of thousands of pounds which may be moved Sunday.  Translation, things aren't moving and plenty more are just waiting in traps that are setting.  So what have I been doing?

We ordered a dumpster to gut two homes, installed final touches on the new house, and have been doing a variety of family things.  The most recent event was that I took my girls to get Lauren's new kayak and hit the camp at Indian Lake for some paddling, fishing, and swimming.  Here's some photos of the kayak and fishing.




So that's my world, busy but not on the ocean.  We'll see how things continue for the rest of the summer.  I'm supposed to be fishing landlocked salmon with Matt Diesel tomorrow, hopefully we'll nab a sunrise silver.

Do I smell a Trey Luckiesque project in the near future?

8 comments:

  1. Might be time to get into the table refinishing business...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I currently have sanded two bed sets and one book shelf. There is a little table similar to your spending spree that I intend to refinish for the guest bedroom. I suppose I'll have to start marketing my pack baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm into phone refinishing now! Post to come next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting pumped for our fantasy football season, the smack talk has started already. Something about who the hell is this Sellers guy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cried when I saw the Minnesota Viking’s Basket. Does it have a liner for when the ice begins to melt? How do I get one of those odd little tables?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let us know how the fishing went..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I see how it is!! I'll be bringing my "A" game. Of court, that'll prob be overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first that I have seen a canoe being used for fishing. But what works is what works and I can see the creativity on this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...