Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I be bassing..




After a three hour drive the prior afternoon, a late night including some candle pin bowling, and enough lies to fill any bull with shit, the early morning proved a bit rugged as Steve (The Maine Outdoorsman) and I made our way to North Pond to find a toothy bastard.  What I learned is that bobber fishing really isn't fun...

A nice bucket mouth...
True I caught a decent smallmouth bass early, but I told Steve that I didn't drive three hours to catch something that I could get 25 minutes from my own house.  After no northern pike and a two hour sail across the lake in Steve's portaboat powered by a three horse outboard motor, I simply opted to go into search and destroy mode.  Armed with a life jacket and a spinnerbait, I began firing all cannons and scored a decent largemouth.  Eventually, we knew our chances for a nice northern were over.  Tired as we were with slight headaches, we needed to get home and consume a good meal in order to prepare for the afternoon bass attack.
Rabid's first bass of the day...
Number 35, morning of day two...

Refueled and filled with enthusiasm, we hit the landing and pushed the aluminum canoe into the shallows.  I had two goals... 1) catch a ton of bass and 2) destroy Steve... both weren't too difficult to come by as the pre-spawn bass were reacting to our offering.  The size wasn't exactly up to my liking, but a few nice bruisers found themselves caught and released.  When the short afternoon jaunt conceded, around fifty bass had been garnered including 31 from my position.  It was definitely a fun evening and certainly worthy of a return the next morning.

After reassessing our gear and replenishing the weapons of demise, our morning fared far better than the previous and the bass at first strike were certainly of a better quality.  Within several hours, over 35 largemouth had been hauled in from the bow while Steve made a quality run with at least 25 of his own.  There were plenty of casts, plenty of strikes, and plenty of action resulting in one fine tenure in central Maine. 

We had to quit around 10:30 because there was an important double top secret engagement scheduled at noon.  Many thanks go out to my good buddy Steve for having me stay once again, I look forward to getting down in a few weeks for a chance at an old tom.

Have a great day,

The Downeast Duck Hunter

6 comments:

  1. Nice fish bud! They all look nice and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Trey, top quality fish... we kept saying how good they looked...

    Sellers, I aim to please...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outing for you two amigos...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do bass look greenish-gold in some pictures and barred in others, is it the camera angle or differences in fish ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fowl, good question. I'm not a biologist but I have read that bass can be a variety of shades or colors for many reasons. Different types of stress whether it be natural or environment that alter the water chemistry can result in darker or paler fish. Also the depth of the fish and the amount of light penetration can be a factor. The photo can also change the appearance of how a fish looks, but I did recognize different shades at the second lake.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...