Saturday, October 1, 2011

Preparation and Performance

Look into his eyes, Rabid prepares my steak and he's contemplating sprinkling flour on it. 
The 2011 freshwater duck opener was a mixed bag of sorts.  Let me bust a few of them out...

The Saturday opener left us planning for just an overnight at Rabid's house

A ghillie suit in a rain storm equals sponge


DuckPower has awarded a bid to a potential pledge


A lot of gluten free snacks just aren't worth the price


Thunder and lightning wasn't a deterrent to legal shooting as we counted the seconds between the flash and boom


Hevi-Steel in #6 just might become my non-seaduck round of choice

I'm hoping that I don't get Lyme disease, TICK got me!!!











Our opening day was quite an impressive effort.  Rabid's preparation and scouting in conjunction with (how shall I say this) uh, rock solid shooting proved to be a perfect blend in the midst of a rainy morning.

Rabid shouldn't have much dirt on me other than I left my gear bag behind for an ambush at daylight and needed to borrow a few shells until I darted back to the trail for my essentials.  If he even thinks that something could be skewed then I will certainly bounce his skinny ass out of DuckPower and seek more accommodating hunting partners.

Here's a few photos of the day... I will not do an official write up until I browse the misguided words of the Maine Outdoorsman.

Have a great day,

The Downeast Duck Hunter

These are pretty good for the Gluten Free Guide, as for other stuff ugghhhh!!!


Ben Franklin setting up the lightning rod, we did wait 30 minutes after the last flash before MoJo got set up...

Onyx with a fine retrieve

The Duckman with a double mallard drop, just part of a great shooting day...

A rare photo of Team DuckPower, usually we are just taking photos of each other.  Thumbs up pledge!!!  However, I do believe this photo op was during the discussion that I could even drop a green-winged teal shooting with one arm...

And I did!!! Ha, not really but it almost landed on Rabid after I shot it...

6 comments:

  1. Glad you guys had a successful hunt! Can't wait to read both write ups!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I'm secure enough with myself to ask this.. who would stand in the rain, in waist deep in water with a long pole trying to perform a colonoscopy on a flying duck? I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trey, Rabid won't have much to say other than his indoor horseshoe pit wasn't as cool as he thought...

    PBM, I have a picture of when he pushed down fast and the duck went into free fall. Ended up spinning wing into his chops...

    ReplyDelete
  4. To All: Opening day was a fantastic time with a great set of friends as always! Drank too much as usual. Managed the dog while others shot ducks as is typical. Bought all the food and beer for group consumption as is now expected. Set-up all the decoys, Mojo, blind, chairs, etc. as Duckman is now accustomed. Even managed to do all of the cooking, cleaning up of spent shotgun shells, decoys, beer cans, etc as is now a familiar practice. Already can't wait for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look like Woody dekes in one of your pics-get many where you hunt?

    Looks like a great time was had by all. Great pic of the retrieve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hardly ever see wood ducks, but then again I don't really have the time to chase them locally so I let Rabid put me on to them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...